Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Ghunghroo - my first tryst

While the whole world has been talking about COVID-19 and how rampant it has become, and the TV channel reporters have been screaming at the top of their voices about how many cases are being reported every single minute, I continued with my Kathak classes. A one and a half hour of pure detachment from the real and sometimes ugly happenings of the world. A childhood dream that I am realising after hitting forty - nevertheless a dream come true if not sooner then later.

Music and dance hitting those notes in my life, which I had been wanting to hear for so long, as long as I have lived may be. And yesterday, when I danced with ghunghroos on my feet for the first time, it was elation that I could never think I would experience...So, here's a short poem for the new addition in my life...

They kissed my ankles..
I danced to their rhythm
A foot at a time
in quick succession

Sounds they echoed
Gentle, musical, 
A beat at a time
but sometimes...
like a hundred little kids 
rejoicing as they intermingle

And...
and touching my heart
blessing my feet
caressing my mind
soothing my ears
as they clung to me
following my movements
and making my soul truly dance
within a joyful me...


No comments: