Monday, September 26, 2011

Drops of joy!

There's not so much of activity to see or hear around in Brisbane - no maid who comes daily and tells the juicy tales of your neighborhood, no wailing infants being chastised by their mothers in the balconies, no kids running around in the common stairs pressing the door bells just for the funny sound of it. Sounds hear consist of the wildlife(mainly birds) around the apartments and that of the dishwasher/washing machine/dryer/vacuum cleaner and the list continues inside the apartment. I can now identify the different sound waves from the different cleaning machines around me :-)...Yes, it good to be neat and tidy - that's one of the first lessons I think I learned at school.
For instance, the other day when we were generally ambling around in a park, we saw a man cleaning a flight of stairs, I think around 20 of them. It was not an easy job after all, the huge cleaning machine adding to the decibels, eating up all the dry leaves. This took around 10 minutes followed by a thorough cleansing job with water sprayed and sprinkled and forced on the stairs, each and every nook taken care of. I just thought this amount of water could wash 5 households in B'lore or more so fulfill the water needs of a BPL(this is controversial though with the Planning Commission coming up with strange criteria!) family for atleast a week!! Anyway, the task meticulously done was surely appreciable - 45 minutes of loud work by the machine. The stairs looked as good as new and I suddenly felt ashamed of not vacuuming my house for the past 1 week! I promised myself that it would be the first thing I did after reaching home, but to my dismay the grey clouds decided to release their waters at that time and I was stuck there for more time. Down came the rain forcing the cleaning man to rush for shelter leaving the machine near the stairs...The water poured on the stairs with full force for around an hour...I just wondered so much of water for those 20 steps...Just couldn't help remembering a few of the steps that were published back in my apartment in B'lore for conserving water : 1) Don't wash your cars 2) Don't wash your balconies 3) Don't use shower to bathe.....only thing left to say was - don't use water to brush your teeth..etc etc...:-)
A lot of questions and thought then crowded my small brain with full force - wondered if the pressure of population is so much in B'lore that it has reduced the water pressure in our taps? Or is it the pressure of a few selected people governing the country or state or constituency...whatever it is...it will soon be robbing our future generation of the basic human right - to be clean - to wash your hands..your surroundings etc...they will be either left with the industrial waste inflicted or the expensive bottled or tanker water...making it as precious as the yellow metal!! A nuclear power stumbling under water woes!

No comments: